NOTE: We’ll be diving in full-time with our Delco Football coverage in early-August.
- Ridley is experimenting with a 3-4 defensive alignment, as its line was ravaged by graduation (Matt Sinex, Mark Pascetta, Tyler Shiber,Steve Plousis, Fran Cullen).If indeed the Green Raiders are switching alignments, they do have some up-and-coming stud LBs (Lou Harrison, Ryan Dougherty, etc. ). I’ve heard QB Colin Wright, who set Ridley High’s single-game passing mark last fall, looks sharp.
- The popular, super-early pick to win the league this year? Haverford High. And what’s not to like about the Fords? Sure they lost All-Delco QB Ed Durkin and All-Delco DB Marcus Sydnor, but the team has so much coming back (All-Delco RB Kevin Leyden, for instance, is a Player of the Year candidate). Jack Donaghy, the sophomore QB, garnered rave reviews as a freshman and could be in line for a breakout season. Coach Joe Gallagher spoke highly of what was coming back in 2013, well before the 2012 season ended.
- Marple Newtown is getting a great assistant coach in veteran football man Sal Oropollo. The former head coach at Academy Park spent the last three seasons as an offensive/defensive line coach for Jason Vosheski Also joining Ray Gionta’s staff is Strath Haven and Purdue product Issac Jones, who spent the last several years as an assistant for Jim Favino at Delco Christian; Steve Reynolds, a Tigers Radio Network play-by-play man; and Sal’s son, Nate, who starred at Cardinal O’Hara before enjoying a successful career at Lycoming College (thanks to Marplenewtownfootball.com)..
- Kevin Mohollen could be a huge difference-maker. If healthy, the Strath Haven QB is a dual threat and, when giving the chance, can make some big plays in the passing game.
- Garnet Valley is in the process of replacing All-Delco QB Ryan Corkery. I liked the fact that now-senior Christian Portale saw playing time in each of the last two years, though in Mike Ricci’s spread offense, athleticism is key from the quarterback position.
I’ll have some more stuff in the coming days/weeks to help kill the time. Remember, the first OFFICIAL day of practice is Monday, August 12. I’ll have a bunch of goodies from camps all around the county.