- Other than falling behind 3-0 to Conestoga, Ridley hadn’t trailed in a game all season before tonight . Pretty impressive considering the Green Raiders erased a 10-point, fourth-quarter deficit like it was no big deal. Last year’s Ridley squad folded under such pressure… but not this year.
- I heard the players attribute senior leadership for their success. A cliche of all cliche in high school sports? You betcha. But it makes sense, I suppose. Ridley is “playing like a team” (another cliche!) and certainly showed me a lot.
- For two teams known for their offensive prowess, collectively they managed only 456 yards.
- Collin Wright stepped in at quarterback for Ridley and was hardly noticeable … which is a good thing. He showed a strong arm and good accuracy, though did throw an interception on a busted RB screen. Still, Wright did a fine job managing the offense and I expect he’ll start going forward.
- Ridley is so strong up the middle on defense. Garnet put its speed to use and ran a lot of counters and QB options with Ryan Corkery and that kind of stuff, but Ridley bottled up everything else
- I can say this … Ridley and Garnet Valley were two boxers exchanging blows for the first half. Pretty evenly matched. Garnet took advantage of good field position in the third quarter and scored 10 points. Ridley forced two fumbles in the fourth quarter and outscored Garnet, 20-0. I expected a close game (and it was), but was a little surprised there weren’t more big plays.
I’ll have another blog post or two on this game over the weekend.