1. I thought for a second that Upper Darby could possibly give Garnet Valley a game, but I was mistaken. The Jaguars showed why they are considered a top-flight Southeastern Pa. squad and the No. 1 team in Delaware County.
There was so much preseason talk about senior running back Jordyn Bennett, and it was well-deserved. But it’s been Jake Irving, whose name should be familar with Garnet Valley fans, whose emerged as the Jags’ top RB. Irving rushed for 122 yards after going for 152 last week and 94 in Week 1.
2. Ridley’s secondary had a difficult test going against Harvard-bound quarterback Joe Viviano, who passed for 193 in the Green Raiders’ convincing victory. While Viviano excelled at times, Ridley’s defensive backs stood tall. Mike Smoluk had a pair of interceptions, including one that he returned for a TD. Ridley’s defense has a county-high six interceptions.
Is anyone else getting excited for Ridley vs. Garnet Valley? Oct. 5 is right around the corner.
3. Penncrest and Haverford were involved in a real shootout, with the Fords
prevailing, 53-35. It was the highest-scoring game in the county since last year’s slugfest between Garnet Valley and Harriton. Those teams combined for 114 points.
4. I really like Sun Valley running back Dan Griffin. A real bulldozer. The Vanguards lost 32-0, but through no fault of Griffin’s, a workhorse who is well on his way to a 1,000-yard campaign.
5. Radnor can’t catch a break. Tonight the Red Raiders suffered their 14th straight loss (dating back to the start of last season). A late field-goal attempt against Harriton went just wide. If they can hang their hats on something, they did limit highly-touted QB Pat Moriarty to just 3-of-11 passing. But that’s little consolation for Tom Ryan and his players. Tough one to swallow.